Re: Has this always been the case?

On 31 May 2013, at 12:22, Richard Quadling <rquadling@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 31 May 2013 12:17, shiplu <shiplu.net@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 5:12 PM, Stuart Dallas <stuart@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> That is not entirely correct. It must be a literal value. The expression 'a'.'b' is a constant value.
>>> I may be being overly picky here, but I think it's an important distinction.
>>
>> I thought 'a'. 'b' is a constant expression and 'ab' is a constant value. Correct me if I am wrong.
>>
> Literals only is OK. Was/is there plans to allow constant expressions?

I believe it's been discussed a few times but I think it's highly unlikely due to the way the engine works. As I said in my reply to shiplu, class constants and member variables are defined not evaluated, so making expressions possible is a fairly major modification for, what I see as fairly minimal benefit.

There's definitely an argument to be made that a class definition should not contain anything that needs to be evaluated. I certainly see it as breaking the basics of object oriented design.

> It just made me wonder if I was doing something wrong.

Technically you were, but nobody died so it's ok :)

-Stuart

--
Stuart Dallas
3ft9 Ltd