javascript cookie dissapears when adding session_start()

I've been working on a PHP/Javascript Cookie Notify (Including multiple language support). Now I have one small problem, when session_start() is not at the top, the cookie message works as it should be.
Now I am trying to add session_start(); at the top, as this will load the current language file the visitor has set it to. But then the cookie message will not show.
I've cleaned all my cookies, and still can't get it to work ...
I've put up a small code on jsFiddle, but when session_start(); is at the top, it launches correctly in jsFiddle. which can be viewed (here).
Does anyone know what i'm doing wrong? And would you be able to explain me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks