Re: Accessing Files Outside the Web Root

At 09:27 AM 3/15/2013, Stuart Dallas wrote:

>You'll have to pursue legal avenues to prevent it being made available, and that's usually prohibitively expensive.

Not necessarily. Most of the host systems for the scraper sites are responsive to my complaints. Even if a site owner will not respond to a DMCA takedown notice the host system will often honor that notice, and other site owners and hosts will back down when notified of my royalty rates for the use of my files by a commercial site.

>At the end of the day the question is this: would you rather control access to your creation (in which case charge a nominal fee for it), or would you prefer that it (and your name/cause) gets in to as many hands as possible.

I merely wish to try to prevent commercial sites from profiting from my work without my permission. I am in the process of registering the copyright for my files with LOC, as my attorneys have advised. That will give my attorneys ammunition.

Dale H. Cook, Member, NEHGS and MA Society of Mayflower Descendants;
Plymouth Co. MA Coordinator for the USGenWeb Project
Administrator of http://plymouthcolony.net