Re: variable type - conversion/checking

On 3/14/2013 4:05 PM, Matijn Woudt wrote:
On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 11:44 PM, Jim Lucas <lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 03/14/2013 11:50 AM, Samuel Lopes Grigolato wrote:

Something like "if (is_numeric($var)&&  $var == floor($var))" will do the

trick. I don't know if there's a better (more elegant) way.

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 3:09 PM, Matijn Woudt<tijnema@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

  On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 7:02 PM, georg<georg.chambert@xxxxxxxxx**>
  wrote:

  Hi,

I have tried to find a way to check if a character string is possible to
test whether it is convertible to an intger !

any suggestion ?

BR georg

You could use is_numeric for that, though it also accepts floats.

- Matijn

for that type of test I have always used this:

if ( $val == (int)$val ) {

http://www.php.net/manual/en/**language.types.integer.php#**
language.types.integer.casting<http://www.php.net/manual/en/language.types.integer.php#language.types.integer.casting>

I hope you're not serious about this...

When comparing a string and an int, PHP will translate the string to int
too, and of course they will always be equal then.
So:
$a = "abc";
if($a == (int)$a) echo "YES";
else echo "NO";
Will always return YES.

- Matijn

Hmmmm... Interesting. Looking back at my code base where I thought I was doing that, turns out the final results were not that, but this:

$value = "asdf1234";

if ( $value === (string)intval($value) ) {

Looking back at the OP's request and after a little further searching, it seems that there might be a better possible solution for what the OP is requesting.

<?php

$values = array("asdf1234", "123.123", "123");

foreach ( $values AS $value ) {

  echo $value;

  if ( ctype_digit($value) ) {
    echo ' - is all digits';
  } else {
    echo ' - is NOT all digits';
  }
  echo '<br />'.PHP_EOL;
}

returns...

asdf1234 - is NOT all digits
123.123 - is NOT all digits
123 - is all digits

http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.ctype-digit.php

An important note:

This function expects a string to be useful, so for example passing in an integer may not return the expected result. However, also note that HTML forms will result in numeric strings and not integers. See also the types section of the manual.

--
Jim