Re: mysql custom global defined variable

Am 13.03.13 10:35, schrieb Kevin Peterson:
> In my database design, I tend to store some variable that is meant to be acting as a ROLE or TYPE as SMALLINT. For example :
>
>     CREATE TABLE `house` (
>        `id` int(11) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
>        `type` smallint(11) NOT NULL,
>     )
>

> And in php, I do
>
>     define('HOUSE_SMALL_TYPE', '0');
>     define('HOUSE_MEDIUM_TYPE', '1');
>
> So in php, in SELECT queries I do :
>
>     $this->db->query("SELECT * FROM house
>                         WHERE type=?;", HOUSE_SMALL_TYPE);
>
> My questions are :
> 1. In the php part, is there is a better way to do this ?

I stopped using define in favor of somehow "namespaced constants" as
const in classes. But basically there is no difference.
Advantages of using constants (which ever) are code completion to avoid
spelling errors. I see no possible improvements here.

> 2. In the mysql itself, does mysql also has global define functionality (like the define in php) ? I also want to do kind of SELECT * FROM house WHERE type = HOUSE_SMALL_TYPE in mysql query.

Maybe this is what you are looking for?
http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?98,273432,273432

--
Marco Behnke
Dipl. Informatiker (FH), SAE Audio Engineer Diploma

Tel.: 0174 / 9722336
e-Mail: marco@xxxxxxxxxx

Softwaretechnik Behnke
Heinrich-Heine-Str. 7D