OOP to run sequential SQL queries?

Dear list,

We have a bunch of SQL-queries, they should be executed in
a sequential order, with a defensive programming style in mind.

We were thinking to implement the solution as "Stored Procedures"
instead of a PHP solution that runs SQL queries, but an article in
Coding Horro recommendeds to avoid SP for good reasons:

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2004/10/who-needs-stored-procedures-anyways.html

Now we're going to carry on in PHP, and my experience says that
we should write the solution in a procedural-style, instead of OOP.

Is there any benefit to use OOP in these situations?

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks,
-behzad