properly debugging php/httpd with gdb

Hello,
I've asked this question on the gdb as well as httpd mailing lists, so I am
turning to php community as a last resort. I am trying to debug my php apps
that core dump with gdb, but for some reason the core file is always
truncated (don't ask me about limits, they are properly set, been down that
road over and over).

So I'm wondering how others have done it successfully and have some
experience with it?

I'm familiar with xdebug, and use it frequently, but there's some things
that gdb can do that xdebug and debug code can't.

I am on linux, so unfortunately I cannot use dtrace with it (yet, I think
Oracle has or is creating a dtrace for linux, but it hasn't been fully
released yet).

Thanks for any insights.