openssl_encrypt, ecb and IV

Hi list,

I am having trouble with error messages saying
"Using an empty Initialization Vector (iv) is potentially insecure and not recommended"

These messages turn up using horde which uses ecb. I don't know the inner workings of php and openssl but if I understand correctly, there is no IV used in ecb hence there should be no error message according to this:
http://svn.php.net/viewvc?view=revision&revision=304179
(I am running php version 5.3.20)

Does anybody have any idea why I am getting these errors ? I can reproduce them using this code:

<?php
openssl_encrypt ("Hallo","bf-ecb","abcdef");
?>

Regards
Stephan