PHP programming a members only access site

Can anyone point me to good tutorials/documentation on the subject?

I want to add this functionality to one of my sites.

I know there are existing solutions for this, but the ones I have found are complex, turnkey and don't really facilitate learning.

I consider myself strong in php programming and using MySQL.

But I have never used sessions or cookies, and want to learn and do it properly.

And I am interested in the security of logins and credentials. Things like detecting sharing of credentials and the appropriate action to take. Also what logs to keep and how to audit them.

And, of course, having sample code for functions like creating a new account, sending the confirmation email, handling the response. Dealing with forgotten passwords. I don't want to re-invent the wheel, but I don't want to have to dissect the code for, say, phpBB to see how it is done there, either.

Thanks in advance for suggestions!

--
Stephen