Re: Strange string stuff -- maybe everything is ending...

Think that PHP inherited this from the C-language.
The C-language inherited this from good old assembler :-)

Index of the array is the offset from the starting-address of the string.
Suppose the "$a" starts at address 1000 than $a[0] is at 1000 + 0,
$a[1] is at 1000 + 1
$a[2] is at 1000 + 2 etc....

The fact that $a[4] does not exist makes this indeed confusing, perhaps PHP could have solved this internally ?

Gr. Louis