Unset and __destruct

Hi all

I searched the internet (probably not hard enough), and couldn't find a
decent answer.

I was wondering why, when calling unset on an object, it doesn't
automatically call the __destruct method (if it exists) on the object.

When unsetting an object, php doesn't automatically remove references to
other objects, and you need to manually call the __destruct method where
you can remove any references to other objects.

I know there is a lot of discussion around this topic, but couldn't find a
definate answer as to why this isn't the default behaviour.

Any clarification would greatly be appreciated.