CURL vs Exif_imagetype()

Hi,

I host a flash painting tool on my site, and wanted to add ability for the
users to add a background image from a given url, but I have to make sure
the url they add truely refers to a real jpg file, and not something else.

I found a methoed with exif_imagetype() that worked except my webhost has
disabled the allow_url_fopen due to security issues, instead they
recommented me to use CURL and said that the exif_imagetype() is not a
modern way to use php today. (what do I know)?

Question: Is it possible for me to use CURL to verify the authenticity of a
jpg file?

...and if so, how? Regards from Rango`