Re: Re: sql injection protection

Hey Alex, take a look at this;

At the top of each php page which interacts with a database, just have
this one liner

$DBH = safe_connection("database_name_here");   //$DBH stands for
database handle

obviously the safe_connection is not a built-in PHP function so we
have to come up with it...

The idea behind this "safe_connection" function is this;

It takes the dbname, uses it in looking up to retrieve the database
username, the password, the host name and the hostname, and the host
type ( whether the host is mysql or mssql etc) - for the specified
database.

Then it uses all this data to establish a db connection and thus get
the $DBHandle.

Once the $DBHandle is obtained, then mysql_real_escape_string ( or the
mysqli_real_escape_string version ) can be used....
(However, the mentioned mysql_real_escape_string function here would
be the right choice **only if** the hosttype is mysql! ) So, that;s
where we use the hosttype. Microsoft SQL may require a different
escaping mechanism.

Now, the question is where do we use this mysql_real_escape_string function?

Well, on the usual suspects! the dirty 5 arrays; namely _GET, _POST,
_COOKIE, _REQUEST and the _SERVER. Yes, the _SERVER too.  ( that's due
to the http_referer, remote_addr etc spoofing ).

Here is a basic example handling the _GET array!

  foreach ($_GET as $k => $v)
  {
      $_GET[$k] = mysql_real_escape_string($v);   // this is good if
host type is mysql...
  }

So, the basic idea is to clean up the entire GET array and be safe and
thorough. And do this across all global arrays where a user input can
possible come from.

So, with this one liner function, called right at the beginning of
your script, you not only get a DBHandle to do your queries but also
get the assurance that the userinput is safe so you can get into
busines instantly as follows;

$safe_firstname = $_GET['firstname'];

How easy is that!

(To keep the basic idea short, I did not get into the magic_quotes_gpc
and stripslashes() matter. But I assume people reading this message
know whey are and how they get used.

So, if you just focus on the basic idea, what do you say? ARE WE STILL NOT OK?

Do we still need PDO?

My answer to this question is ABSOLUTELY NO. But this NO is as far as
the SQLInjection woes. PDO may offer other advantages warranting its
use but as far as the SQLInjection is concerned and when we know that
the data has been thoroughly escaped like this, using PDO will not
make it any safer. Absolutely NOT.

Do we all agree on that? It's a plain YES or NO question right here.

As far as the C. Shifflet's article and Ilia's follow up post (
http://ilia.ws/archives/103-mysql_real_escape_string-versus-Prepared-Statements.html
) is concerned, the only thing we need to worry about is whether we
are working with GBK character code, Chinese character set that is. If
we got nothing to do with GBK char set, then the technique I covered
above will suffice and cover us safely, conveniently and effortlessly.
But if you do work with GBK and you do that in your script by actually
running this ( mysql_query("SET CHARACTER SET 'gbk'", $c); ), then the
above technique will doom you. Then PDO is your only bet, but
otherwise, we are OK.

As far as the escaping, I know you were against that.  Here is what
you said about the escaping.

<quote>
Escaping is a bad and many times failed attempt at saying that it's ok
to pass user input as code, we just escape the characters we think are
bad, to tell the interpreter not to execute them as it normally would.
But what does it mean to be a character? Well back when all these
languages were designed there was ASCII, and life was easy, now,
however we have utf7, utf8, utf16, with tens of thousands of
characters, many of which are the same symbol. Oh and they morph, if
you don't know what best-fit matching is, look it up, but at the end
of the day, if you think that you know what characters you need to
escape, you are wrong, i'm sorry. This is why in javascript there are
3 escape functions: escape, escapeURI and escapeURIComponent. Which
roughly translate to "we failed", "we failed again" and "we failed the
third time".
</quote>

Correct me if I'm wrong,

IF WE ARE NOT CHANGING THE CHAR SET WITHIN THE SCRIPT USING SOMETHING
LIKE "SET CHARACTER SET", THEN WHAT"S WRONG WITH ESCAPING WITH THE
RECOMMENDED UTILITY FOR THE SQL HOST AT HAND? From Ilia's post, I
understand that even if the character set was to be GBK at server's
config level, we would be fine. Here is the excerpt from that very
section.

<quote>

 In MySQL there are two ways to change the character set, you can do
it by changing in MySQL configuration file (my.cnf) by doing:

CODE:
[client]

default-character-set=GBK

Or you can change on a per-connection basis, which is a common
practice done by people without admin level access to the server via
the following query:

CODE:
SET CHARACTER SET 'GBK'

The problem with the latter, is that while it most certainly modified
the charset it didn’t let the escaping facilities know about it. Which
means that mysql_real_escape_string() still works on the basis of the
default charset, which if set to latin1 (common default) will make the
function work in a manner identical to addslashes() for our purposes.
Another word, 0xbf27 will be converted to 0xbf5c27 facilitating the
SQL injection.
</quote>

Which means, mysql_real_escape_string is aware of things!