Printing

My first attempt to print something to a printer.
I actually just went ahead and tried this from my website:
$hdl = printer_open();
printer_write($hdl,"This is my printed page");
printer_write($hdl,"This is line 1");
printer_write($hdl,"This is line 2");
printer_write($hdl,"This is line 3");
printer_close($hdl);

The error I got was:  Fatal error: Call to undefined function printer_open()
in .....

Reading in the manual I find the following conflicting statements:
 1) These functions are only available under Windows 9.x, ME, NT4 and 2000.
They have been added in PHP 4.0.4.
2) No external libraries are needed to build this extension.

3) This » PECL extension is not bundled with PHP. Windows users must enable
php_printer.dll inside of php.ini in order to use these functions. A DLL for
this PECL extension is currently unavailable. See also the building on
Windows section.

********

I'm not sure what all those tidbits of information are telling me.  Are they
outdated?  Is there some other chapter in the manual  I should read?  I only
looked in "Printer".

FWIW - I'm running windows xp on my client.  My host runs Apache and 2.2.21
and PHP 5.3.6.

My question is:  Is there something I (me!) have to do to get printing to
function in my domain's PHP install?