Re: DOS CLI?

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 7:16 AM, Richard Quadling <rquadling@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2 December 2011 21:00, Matt Neimeyer <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Is there (or is there a way to compile) a DOS CLI version of a fairly
>> recent version of PHP? I have not been able to find one using the
>> powers of Google.
>
> You are pretty much stuck with no network services, limited memory and
> restricted extensions.
>
> Can you describe your project and to why it MUST run on such an ancient OS?

We have a utility disk that we use for a variety of things where I
work and some of them are DOS based. We use the purely DOS ones rarely
enough these days that people have trouble remembering how to use
them. I wanted to see if it would be possible to write a menu type
front end that would detect what OS it is running under and present
the tools and options that are suitable for that OS.

My thought was to use PHP because it is cross platform (to some
degree) and then in theory the disk could be run under anything that
can run PHP and anything that would run under the current OS can then
be presented to the end user. If there is a better solution than PHP
I'm open to it, but I already know PHP so I figured that would make it
easier.

Basically I need to be able to present a menu to the end user so they
can select the tool they want to run. We currently have tool disks for
DOS, Windows and OSX. If I could combine them into one big disk/usb
key I would be a hero around these parts.

Matt