Re: Tutorial for the structure of an php-app ?

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 4:38 PM, Andreas <maps.on@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi again,
> is there a tutorial for the structure of an php-app?
>
> There are more than enough books and online docs that teach the basics of
> PHP and of course the native mysql commands.
>
> I'd now rather need a help to figure out how to pull up a wee bit more
> complex app.
> I know how to connect to a DB even though it might not be mysql. I can
> select stuff and dump it into a HTML table.
> Actually I prefer PDO and PostgreSQL.
>
> Is there a tutorial that teaches how to construct a app with a 2-column
> design.
> E.g. a menue frame on the left and a bigger content area on the right.
> So a click on a menue item would dynamically display a form or a list in the
> content area.

What you're asking has nothing to do PHP.  It's all UI and client
side.  That's all relative to:

* who are the visitors
* amount of information to be display
* type of application such as functions and features
* tools in your belt, ie: ajax, flash, etc...

to name a few and not necessarily in that order.

> What is a good way to glue everthing together between login and logout.
> I know cookies and sessions and I suspect those were a way to do it.
> How would I integrate a template system like smarty?
> It weren't bad if there were clues about AJAX, too.
>
> I'm in search of a way to extend the knowledge about bricks, tubes and
> cables to the wisdom to actually build a house out of those things.

More importantly, shouldn't you need to find out the properties of
each materials prior to building a house as it will affect the design
and structural integrity?  How strong is the brick?  What kind of
tubes?  Can they be easily bended?  What about prone to rust or
chemical reactions with long term exposure to chlorinated water?  What
cables are needed for each purpose and is the proper gauge of the
cable being used?  Insufficient gauge will lead to fire.  After you
have a firm understanding of the materials/technologies/skills
involved, then Google programming design patterns...

HTH,
Tommy