Re: Re: include

On 20 Nov 2011 at 10:36, Tommy Pham <tommyhp2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think you're approaching this the wrong way.
> 1) have a clear understanding of PHP - syntax, capabilities, etc.

That's what I'm doing - gathering information about bits of PHP that I've not used (or not used very much) before to see how my new setup could be structured.

> 2) have a clear understand of what you're intending to do -
> application's function/purpose, features, manageability,
> expandability, portability, etc...

I have a clear idea about *that*. I want to figure out if it's possible to use web sockets with a small server written in PHP to replace my current structure of ajax + apache + processes (which I suppose it forks). I see these benefits:

1) possible benefit - presumably when an ajax request arrives, a new process is started and so PHP has to be loaded and initialised each time. But perhaps this is in some way optimised so the PHP process is left running and apache then just tells it to read/execute a new script.

2) Definite benefit - when a browser makes an ajax request to run a script, it gets no information back until the script completes. Then it gets all of it. I have a couple of unsatisfactory workarounds for that in my existing structure. Websockets appears to offer a way for the browser to receive timely information.

> 3) understand design patterns

I don't know what this means.

> What your asking is practically impossible in any programming language
> akin to 'how to un-import packages in Java' or 'how to un-using
> namespace in C#'.  If you don't want to use it, don't include it ;)

I do want to use it but would like to be able to replace it with a newer version. If there is no way to do this then that is a data point.

And here's another question. Can a child forked by pcntl_fork() use a socket that the parent obtained? Reading the socket stuff in the PHP doc, there are a number of user-supplied notes hinting this might be problematic.

--
Cheers  --  Tim