Question reading a file

Hi gang:

I have a few questions -- this is my first one.

Please review this link:

http://webbytedd.com/cccc/perms/

This page simply reads the contents of a file of the user's choice and displays the file's data.

My first question is with regard to reading a file ( fread() ):

If the user picks the PDF file, the [1] First 20 bytes are: %PDF...
If the user picks a JPG file, the [1] First 20 bytes are:  ...JFFIF...
If the user picks a GIF file, the [1] First 20 bytes are:  GIF89a...

Of course, the above is just reading/echoing the header for each of those files.

Likewise, if the user picks a TXT or CSS file, then [1] First 20 bytes echoed are the first 20 characters of the file.

However, if the user picks a HTML or PHP file, there are no [1] First 20 bytes echoed.

BUT, the ord() and chr() of the bytes ARE indeed collected and can be echoed as shown in statements [2] and [3].

So, my question is specifically "Why is the data gathered in the variable $content not echoed for the HTML and PHP files, but is for all other files?"

Please review the code shown.

Cheers,

tedd

tedd@xxxxxxxxxxxx