Re: Local variable protection

On Oct 13, 2011, at 11:37 AM, Tim Streater wrote:
> On 13 Oct 2011 at 16:25, Tedd Sperling <tedd.sperling@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> So, if you want a main script variable (i.e., $myVar) to be accessed by a
>> function, you can do it by stating:
>>
>> myFunction
>>  {
>>  global $myVar;
>>  // and then using $myVar
>>  }
>>
>> or
>>
>> myFunction
>>  {
>>  $myVar = $GLOBAL['myVar']
>>  // and then using $myVar
>>  }
>
> But presumably these are not *quite* equivalent, as modifying $myVar will change the global in the first but not in the second.
>
> --
> Cheers  --  Tim

Tim:

I see what you are saying, but the reason for that $myVar declared within the function is local to that function and will not change the value of $myVar in the main script -- as such, illustrating differences in scope.

But the reason for my post was to illustrate that IF one declares a variable in the main script THEN that variable will also be automagically included in the $GLOBAL array.

In short, you cannot write a script without having a $GLOBAL array that contains every variable you create in the main script -- that is what I found surprising. YSMV (Your Surprise May Vary).

Cheers,

tedd