Re: PHP Download Of Application Question?

On Sat, Oct 8, 2011 at 6:53 PM, Thomas Dineen <tdineen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Gentle People:
>
>    I am looking for a way to download a C based application binary, from
> an Apache / PHP server, via a client side Web Browser, and execute it
> seamlessly on the client side PC without storing it permanently on the
> client side
> hard disk drive. Temporary storage would be ok.
>
>    I know this can be done because I have observed it operation in various
> applications. This concept allows a authorized customer to have the use of
> an application via the web without being able to keep or share the
> application
> binary.
>
>    I am open to other approaches beyond Apache and PHP.
>
>    So any ideas out there?
>
> Thanks for the help
> Thomas Dineen
>

> --

Well, you seem to want to enter the world of DRM. That's an odd subject for
a PHP list, but here goes.

PHP is a server-side language. In fact, for your circumstances, PHP would be
of little use. All you need is a web server to serve the file.

Unfortunately, there is no real way for a webserver to tell a client how to
handle the file it sends. All it does is pipe data over the wire. What you
want would have to be a function of the browser/downloader and AFAIK, no
browsers support anything like that.

Plus, if you're sending someone an EXE file, there's very little you can do
to stop them from keeping a copy of it. You would have to implement some
sort of authorization system within the C code to only allow access to the
users you want (or whatever other arbitrary restrictions you wish to
impose).

This question would be much better suited for a C mailing list. Again, PHP
== server side. It has NO control over anything client-side.

--
--Zootboy

Sent from my PC.