Re: files outside of documentRoot

On 10/08/2011 03:40 PM, Ricardo Martinez wrote:
> Hi List!
>
> I need to access files outside the DocumentRoot.
>
> I've been looking for info and documentation, and I've read that it can be
> done using symbolic links and another way is by using headers.
>
> I want to know, what do you think, what is the best way, and if anyone knows
> a good doc about of it.
>
> Thanks!!!

It depends on what you mean by "files".  Are they PHP files that need to
be run, or images, or files that need to be downloaded by the user?

For PHP, you would add the external dir to your include path.

For images you can use a php file as the img src and that file sets the
appropriate headers and uses readfile() to get and echo the image data:
getimage.php?image=someimage.gif

For download files you would do it in the same manner as for images:
download.php?file=somefile.zip

--
Thanks!
-Shawn