Re: Querying a database for 50 users' information: 50 queries or a WHERE array?

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 00:56, Alex Nikitin <niksoft@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> <rant from="tired of constantly having to explain it, developer">
> MySQL real escape string doesn't work, it's a bad solution to the
> problem that has been with the internets since the very beginning, and
> if people program like they are taught to by books, doesn't look like
> it's going away any time soon. The problem of course is that various
> programming languages don't know how to talk to other languages, and
> we as devs see no better way to do this then concatenate strings.
> Basically this is the core reason why XSS and SQL injection is rampant
> on the interwebs. Escaping only seems like it's a good idea to you,
> but if you analyze what it does and compare it to today's technology,
> you quickly realize how wrong of a concept it actually is. Escaping
> looks for certain characters, and if found escapes them in some form.
> The problem here is that rather then say defining all safe characters,
> it defines what the developers believe to be bad characters, and the
> affect that you get is not dissimilar to creating a firewall rule set
> where the bottom rule is accept all, as long as my character doesn't
> match what they thought was a bad character, it is allowed. This was
> fine in the days of ASCII, but the tubes are hardly ASCII anymore,
> with Unicode, UTF-16, i have 1,112,064 code points, they are not even
> called characters anymore, because they really aren't. And if you are
> familiar with best-fit mapping, you would know that there are now
> dozens of characters that can represent any single symbol in ASCII,
> meaning that using the above type of blocking mechanisms is silly and
> technically insecure.

I agree with this point, except that MySQL does not parse any other
(unicode) character as the single quote.

> Another problem with it is the fact that security-wise this again is a
> bad solution from another perspective. A programmer comes in, and
> starts debugging code, the first thing they always seem to do is to
> turn off the security and comment out the escape line, and you know
> what happens, the bug gets found and fixed completely else-where, but
> the security never gets re-enabled. This is called failing open, and
> it again goes with the concept above where the escape in itself fails
> open as well.

This has not been my experience. As for turning off the escape line,
that is another argument for using the array that I demonstrated
previously.

> So if you look into the problem at the core, what you have are two
> types of code, code that you know is good, and crap data that you have
> to somehow make safe. So you know how you do it in the same language?
> Right, you assign that data to a storage container called a variable,
> and the interpreter knows that this data here, i execute, and that
> data there i use as data and don't execute. Well what happens when you
> add another language into the mix? Well language a passes known good
> code that it string concatenates to bad code, and what you get as a
> result is the second language parser thinking "hey, all of this stuff
> is good code, let me execute it!"... This is why a stringent delimiter
> between known good and not good data needs to be portrayed to the
> second language.
>
> How do we do it with SQL? There are a few ways, one of the more common
> ones is to use a prepared statement, this clearly separates the code
> from the data for the SQL interpreter on the other side. This works
> really well, with one HUGE down-side, it can be a REAL pain in the
> butt to use, the more complex your query gets, the more pain in the
> butt it is to use prepared statements.

I just googled prepared statements in PHP and I see that they don't
need to be pre-prepared in the database. I must have been conflating
them with stored procedures. Thanks, I'll play around and possibly
adopt the use of prepared statements.

> Another way, and this works for mostly any language is to use an
> in-common function that jumbles the known-bad data on one end, and
> unjumbles it as data on the other. For example base64. It works
> extremely well, you take any data on the PHP side, base 64 encode it,
> and send it to SQL or JS or whatever. you can string concatenate the
> b64'd data, because you know what b64'd data looks like? Yep, data,
> its not JS, it's not SQL, bunch of garbled junk. You can then use
> b64decode on that data, and by the design of the function the result
> will be just that, data. So with this you keep the code/data
> separation even with string concatenation...

This is not good for searching the data afterwards. If I have a
specific non-searchable field meant for code or such, then I do base64
encode.

> Base 64 performs really well, and is well worth the few extra cycles
> for the above-mentioned guaranteed code/data separation barrier, it's
> easy to implement. More importantly, this by default fails closed. You
> would have to disable at least 4 security points and change 2 queries
> to disable this (and if you are using a stored procedure this is even
> harder), and that's beyond what you want to do during troubleshooting
> usually, and if you disable one point, your application fails to work
> all together and it fails closed.
>
> More over you can make this completely transparent to your devs by
> changing your data access libraries (for SQL, or Ajax functions for JS
> for example). They can pass in crap data, and the first thing your
> data access library does before doing anything else is it encodes the
> data into a bunch of gibberish... And when they pull the data back,
> your library gets the data and unencodes it. the devs don't have to
> worry about SQL injection, you don't have to worry about their
> competence, you win ;)

Change the access libraries for the devs? I think that you've gone a
bit too far!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il