Re: Re: What would you like to see in most in a text editor?

 wrote:
> [...]
 You'll get my emacs when you pry it out of my cold dead hands.

 Pah! You and your full screen editor.

 EDLIN is the way to go.

 Is that more or less terse than TECO?

 Back in 1989 when I was

 --
 Cheers  --  Tim

I agree with you for the most part. I used to use Nano for this reason,
which tends to be available on any given system. But sometimes Nano
isn't available and/or is difficult to find/install. It offers very
little flexibility and, as far as I know, no capability to do add-ons.
It also doesn't do syntax highlighting, as far as I know.

I resisted Emacs because I'd have arthritis in short order from having
to deal with the plethora of control and alt keystrokes which don't make
mnemonic sense to me. Plus, it can be a massive.

Eventually I switched to Vim (counter-intuitively) because 1) there's no
*unix variant on which it's not available; 2) at some point, you're
probably going to *have* to know how to operate Vi if you move around
among foreign machines and networks; 3) there are many other
applications which use many of the same keystroke patterns which are
fundamental to Vi; 4) most keystroke combinations do not require leaving
the home row, etc.; 5) Vi easily does syntax hilighting and a variety of
other things, depending on add-ons.

The "modal" model of Vi/Vim is sometimes a pain in the ass. And yes, it
can take a long time to know all the features of Vim. But there are a
number of things I can do faster in Vim, than anyone else can do in
other editors, with less effort.

No attempt here to dissuade Emacers or others. Whatever floats your boat
and you're happy with, continue using. Why should you or I care what
someone else uses for an editor?

BTW, my big beef with "online" editors is latency, and it's a *huge*
problem, as far as I'm concerned. Ultimately this is why I wrote blog
software for myself which requires you to compose and edit your posts
locally, and then *upload* them to the blog. That, and the silly idea
that one should store huge masses of text in relation databases; large
masses of text should be stored as what they are-- flat files.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster
http://noferblatz.com