PHP sessions expiring early

I'm having trouble with a PHP website which requires users to be logged in to access all content other than the home page and a couple of static pages (about us, contact us etc.). Several users have said they are being logged out every few minutes whilst using the site - they can login but will be shown the login form again after a few minutes. I can't confirm this myself as the site seems to work fine for me - even using the same browser as they are and under their accounts - but I'm wondering if this could be a problem with the session settings?

The current settings I have are:

session.auto_start	Off
session.bug_compat_42	On
session.bug_compat_warn	On
session.cache_expire	180
session.cache_limiter	nocache
session.cookie_domain	no value
session.cookie_httponly	Off
session.cookie_lifetime	0
session.cookie_path	/
session.cookie_secure	Off
session.entropy_file	no value
session.entropy_length	0
session.gc_divisor	100
session.gc_maxlifetime	3600
session.gc_probability	1
session.hash_bits_per_character	4
session.hash_function	0
session.name	PHPSESSID
session.referer_check	no value
session.save_handler	files
session.save_path	/shared/sessions
session.serialize_handler	php
session.use_cookies	On
session.use_only_cookies	Off
session.use_trans_sid	0

The only options I have changed from the defaults are gc_maxlifetime, gc_probability and save_path. There are several sites on the same server, some are https, others just plain http. They all use the same session options. session_start() is called once on every page.

The PHP version we're running is: PHP 5.2.6-1+lenny13 with Suhosin-Patch 0.9.6.2 (cli) (built: Jul 1 2011 16:01:01). I'm aware it's an old version before anyone tells me to upgrade (it's the latest stable version in Debian Lenny). :)

Potential problems I have already ruled out:

1. I don't think it's a browser problem as the users have a variety of browsers and versions (we log the user agent for each login, they're mostly IE7/8 on XP/Vista/7 with a few Chrome users), and I can't reproduce the problem using the same browsers on my machine.

2. The server time is correct.

3. The sessions aren't stored in a directory which is being regularly cleared out, such as /var/lib/php5 or /tmp.

4. The web server has permission to write to the save_path directory, and I can see session files being created.

5. No output buffering functions are being used.

Can anyone suggest things which I could try? I cannot work out why this problem is happening for some users but not me.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

--
Paul Waring