PHP/ Soap issue

I am hoping there's a SOAP expert on the list as this is driving me mad and Google doesn't come up with much help ...

I am trying to build a fairly simple web service in SOAP -- the client sends a string SKU to query a product catalogue database and receives product pricing data - I am using a WSDL file which validates OK ... anyway I keep getting this error:-

SOAP-ERROR: Encoding: object has no 'name' property

The PHP code is below:-

$client = new SoapClient('http://example.com/catalogue.wsdl',array('trace' => 1,'exceptions' => 0));
$sku = '12345';
$client->getProduct($sku);

I can post the wsdl file contents if necessary.

Hoping someone can help point me in the right direction!
TIA
Rich