Code should be selv-maintaining!

Dont get me wrong, I love programming! But what an absolute pain in the
ass it is when you re-use old code only to discover something "less well
made".

You all know about this right?

You go into your homemade library of code to re-use some piece that you
already are using 12 other places in production. Now, last time you
worked on the code you thought it was almost perfect. While working on
the code this time you find an undiscovered bug or some part of the
code that looks like you where on drugs when you made it.

Of course we develop experience and more skills all the time, and as a
good programmer we never stop doing that, but what a pain it is when
the above happens and you have to patch the code being used those 12
other places too, and each place maybe has a slightly different usage,
so minor changes affect other stuff. And this goes on while your head
is spinning around trying to stay focused on the very task at hand that
originated the need for a quick re-usage of old code in the first place.

Why the hell can't code be self-maintaining!? :))