How to catch an irregular end of an application?

Hi,
what is the best practice to catch an irregular end of an application?
The browser might crash or the user closes accidently the browser window decides to jump away to his favourite bloq without loging out of my application. Is there some way to let an javascript event trigger some ajax to store an exit time into my DB or make it mandatory to at least visit the logout.php before someone can surf away?

regards