Re: What type of PHP5 shall I install to learn PHP5 together with Apache, Please specify the Apache type too Since There are Two Apache types also

On Fri, 8 Jul 2011, Varuna Seneviratna wrote:

I am Using Ubuntu 11.04 Desktop as my OS.Below are the two types of
PHP5 available for installation

php5 - server-side, HTML-embedded scripting language (metapackage)
php5-cgi - server-side, HTML-embedded scripting language (CGI binary)

I got the above by running the command "apt-cache search PHP5
1 What is the difference between the two.

One is part of the other.

I'm running Debian (which Ubuntu is based on), and by looking at the php5 package you can see that it depends on php5-cgi and a few other packages.

2 What shall I install to learn PHP with apache(Please specify the
apache version too since there are two types available for Ubuntu)

Can't really help you much there without more information, though again assuming the Debian packages are the same or similar, installing the apache2 package should pull in everything you need.

HTH,
Geoff.