Re: Convert a PDF to a PNG?

On 15 June 2011 00:00, Tamara Temple <tamouse.lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Jun 14, 2011, at 5:48 PM, Brian Dunning wrote:
>
>> The PDFs are text only (white text on transparent background). I made them
>> using the FPDF, which was tedious to set up but works great. I've since
>> learned that I need PNG images, not PDFs. I know that I could rebuild them
>> using GD, but it's a lot of strings of text wrapping and formatting and that
>> would be the long, long way around.
>>
>> I've put in a request to see about getting ImageMagick/Ghostscript
>> installed... see how that goes.
>
> Well there's one on me... I didn't even *know* you could covert a text PDF
> to a PNG image....
>
> The more you know <rainbow/>

It is just a case of rasterizing the PDF to a "display" and encoding
it to an image (or raw).

Admittedly, all the PDFs I work with are essentially images as the
source is a fax server.

I use PDF2PNG as this provides the cleanest output mechanism I've
found. But I didn't try GS which, theoretically, should be perfect.

Once in a PNG file, I use commandline IMagick to add a "tag" to the
top and the bottom of the fax (the bottom tag is rotated 180 degrees).
The tag can then be read regardless of the orientation of the fax when
the user scanned it. Processing several thousand faxes a day. For 6
years or so. A LOT of paper saved at our end.

--
Richard Quadling
Twitter : EE : Zend : PHPDoc