files outside of the web tree

I have managed to build include files and store them above my public folder
and the called pages manage to find them from the public folder and properly
include them.  My problem is with the html src= attribute.  I have uploaded
photos to  be included in my web pages and I didn't want them in the web
tree so I moved them above it also. I use php to get the root folder's name
and then I add "../photos/" to the filename's path, but now my tags can't
find them.  Can I not do this?