Re: upload big files

On Sat, 2011-04-16 at 15:47 +0200, Daniel Jost wrote:

> okay, sorry, you are right. i thought it would be purely javascript
> but forgot the flash component.
>

> but if you don't want your user to blindly upload 300mb over hours
> (depending on his internet connection) there are no other
> possibilities than using one of that components. or does anyone have
> another solution?
>

> 2011/4/16 Ashley Sheridan <ash@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>

>         On Sat, 2011-04-16 at 15:36 +0200, Daniel Jost wrote:
>
>         > hi!
>         >
>         > this form would not really be a nice solution to upload 300mb. there would
>         > be no progress bar and no other possibility for the user to get feedback.
>         >
>         > you should consider to use a java uploaded - or a bit nicer - a javascript
>         > based solution like this: http://www.uploadify.com/
>         >
>         > <http://www.uploadify.com/>daniel
>         >
>         > 2011/4/14 Ricardo Martinez <hariseldom@xxxxxxxxx>
>         >
>         > > Hi List!
>         > >
>         > > Need can upload big files ( around 300MB ) the system must be easy of use (
>         > > cann't use ftp ).
>         > >
>         > > Was thinking in make it, using a form with post, and update the cfg files
>         > > for can upload big files.
>         > > But don't know how it going to work. I think that can give a lot of errors
>         > > or be unestable.
>         > >
>         > > Just asking if anyone had a project like this one ;)
>         > >
>         > > Greetings!
>         > >
>         > > --
>         > > Ricardo
>         > > _______________________________________________
>         > > IT Architect
>         > > website: http://www.pulsarinara.com
>         > >

>         Uploadify might appear to be purely Javascript, but it is
>         in-fact Flash doing the actual upload work. I've used this
>         before, and found it impossible to use without a mouse and
>         defaults to a standard upload input element if you don't have
>         Flash player installed on that browser. These might not seem
>         like major issues, but I for one don't have Flash installed on
>         my Windows partition (found it to be too much of a security
>         risk) and there are plenty of people out there who can't use a
>         mouse due to various disabilities. I'd definitely go with the
>         Java one if you can, as this is more portable (I believe you
>         can get them to run on iOS devices where Flash would be a
>         no-go) and would allow non-mouse navigation.
>
>         Having said that, the last time I used Uploadify was about a
>         year ago, so things may have changed since then with regards
> [...]

The last time I had to do something like this was for large video files
which could sometimes go beyond 2GB. In the end I allowed the files to
be transferred over FTP (with the same username/password that they
logged in via the web interface), but also included a Java applet in the
web interface as well so that it appeared to allow the upload as normal,
but behind the scenes it was all FTP. HTTP isn't great for large
uploads, but a protocol like FTP is perfectly suited for it.