Re: xinetd vs php socket server

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 12:38 PM, Bostjan Skufca <bostjan@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Xinetd will definitely be faster way than coding your daemon in PHP.

In this case:

> You have to consider many other things as well:
> - do your worker processes run under various UIDs (do they do
> setuid/setgid)?

no

> - do your workers die after processing each request/client or do they
> process multiple connections?

die after each request

> - do you need inter-worker communication?

no

> - resource locking issues, etc?

perhaps some, but i think this could be handled via a select to the database
prior to a write

> What is your goal, the function of your daemon/socket server?

basically to process an incoming payload from a client, parse and store the
results.  not sure why the requirements are to accept the payload over
non-http, but that is out of my control.

i guess you can see where im going with this, basically, why reinvent the
wheel w/ the daemon code when xinetd is available.  i suppose those php
libraries you mentioned are an argument against that, but then there is the
speed benefit of xinetd.  i guess it just comes down to a battle of
tradeoffs.

-nathan