Re: PHP session replication

On 18 March 2011 17:36, Nathan Nobbe <quickshiftin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 11:19 AM, Stuart Dallas <stuart@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Friday, 18 March 2011 at 17:14, Torsten Rosenberger wrote:
>>
>> > I'm curious to know what people are storing in their sessions. Is there
>> anything larger than a few hundred bytes that is specific and unique to that
>> session storage? What are the use cases for server-side session storage
>> because it seems like I'm missing something?
>> >
>> > I store user rights in the session but also possible to do it with a DB
>> query every time.
>>
>> Why not store those in an encrypted cookie? Unless we're talking about more
>> than a couple of hundred bytes I see no reason to store them separately
>> server-side or to hit the DB each time.
>

> Stuart, would you not agree that sending any amount of data over the wire
> takes more time than passing it over an internal network? ÂFrom my
> perspective the tradeoffs of cookies vs. server side session storage are
> application performance and cost of ownership.
>
> An application will be more responsive if less data is sent over the wire on
> each request however running a distributed session store on the server side
> can be expensive monetarily. ÂStoring session data in cookies has it's
> merits, but I think they start to loose their benefits on large sites. ÂThe
> way I see it they can be a great way to cope with startup costs and
> server-side complexity on low traffic sites.
>
> -nathan

The addition of a small cookie would far outweigh all the
communication to and from the SQL server (even though it is only
memory).

Consider that you are going to be getting a session cookie from the
client, substituting the cookie for compressed/encrypted data should
be very quick. Nothing more than a bit of string manip.

The actually traffic for a channel to a SQL db is going to be a little
more than a few bytes. All the handshaking and SQL server processing
of the SQL statement, the data retrieval and packaging and
transmission ...

I'd say that for the right circumstances, putting the session data in
the cookie would be beneficial.

--
Richard Quadling
Twitter : EE : Zend