Re: Failure in bitwise operations moving from 5.2.x to 5.3.x

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 11:50 AM, Andy McKenzie <amckenzie4@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> > Now:  I did a little more looking around this morning, and it looks
> > like I may well run into problems here given that I'm moving from a
> > 32-bit architecture to a 64-bit architecture.  Bitwise math is still
> > fairly obscure to me, so it's likely that I'm overlooking something
> > obvious, but maybe instead of asking "How do I fix this?" I should be
> > asking "What would the right way to do this have been?"  As I think I
> > said before, I didn't actually write most of this code, I inherited
> > it, and as long as the input and output of the class remain the same,
> > I don't actually care how the work is done.
> >

> > If anyone has any useful input here, I'd appreciate it!
> >
> > -Alex
> >

> As it turns out, the most important lesson here is:  "Don't trust what
> anyone tells you."  The old server is 64-bit.  The new server is
> 32-bit.  Once I stopped to check that myself, it all became clear.
> For the archives, here's what happened.
>
> Everything worked fine until I ran bindec() on the binary netmask;  at
> that point it returned a float rather than an int, as it it used to.
> Therefore, when I ran ip2long on the result, it choked, and returned
> bool(false).  Which isn't really useful when you're trying to produce
> a human-readable netmask, when you get right down to it.
>
> I still don't have a solution that will work on a 32-bit server, but
> now that I know what's going on, I should be able to either find
> something that will work, or get things moved to a 64-bit machine.
>

> -Alex
>
> --

Nice detective work, Alex.

Thanks for posting this info back to the list. I'm sure some tired-eyed
developer some time in the future will benefit from having this information
available in the list archives (it might even be me once my shabby memory
has lost the index for this valuable info.)

Adam

--
Nephtali:  A simple, flexible, fast, and security-focused PHP framework
http://nephtaliproject.com