Possible to pinpoint peak memory usage?

Hello,

Is it possible to pinpoint the location where the most memory was used? I
log memory_get_peak_usage() in sections of my code where I believe the most
memory would be consumed, but I haven't had luck with getting an accurate
picture. I also log the peak usage at the very end of the code. I can see
memory usage go up in places that I expected it to, but then things are
pretty much flat lined. However, the peak usage at the very end shows a much
higher number, sometimes it could be twice as large.

I'm also tracing with xdebug. At the beginning of the trace memory starts
off low, then it goes up as things are allocated. It also goes back down as
things are deallocated. But never do I see the numbers as high as what PHP
is reporting as the peak. It looks like xdebug traces at every step of
execution, shouldn't the memory usage shown in the trace be the actual usage
for every single step in the code? Why is PHP reporting that peak was much
higher?

Maybe I'm not understanding this stuff correctly?

Thanks,
daniel