Re: Connection Handling - unreliable at best?

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 10:21, James Green <james.mk.green@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Been reading through
> http://uk.php.net/manual/en/features.connection-handling.php and
> trying to implement a solution using it. So far the documented
> behaviour rarely occurs.
>
> This code is a minimal test case: http://codepad.org/GqNlcWiM
>
> I run this behind Apache 2.2 with PHP 5.3 on Linux. The in-line
> comments explain the problem. I load in the browser and hit stop
> pretty much immediately but PHP does not get signalled that the user
> has aborted and continues.
>
> From memory of having to restart apache after hitting long-running
> scripts in the past, I don't ever believe I've had a script terminate
> on a user abort. And I've never switched the behaviour from default.
>
> I read several people explain this behaviour would only ever work in
> writing back to the client and to flush the buffer, which is included
> in the test case. I've also removed any compression from within
> Apache.
>
> Can anyone explain what I've seeing? I've tried this using Lighttpd/Windows too.

    Look at line #4.  You're telling PHP that you don't give a damn if
someone tries to quit, you're going to continue anyway.  You storm
trooper, you.

    If PHP is instructed to ignore the user's (futile) attempts to
abort, why should it try to gentlemanly and politely respect a
shutdown function?  Essentially, you're damning it to zombiehood.

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
Network Infrastructure Manager