Re: improve speed of PHP answers

On Wed, 2011-02-09 at 18:57 +0100, Alain Roger wrote:

> it's a php component for joomla so it is written in PHP.
> it access to DB as also the whole site root structure to backup database
> structure , data as also web site folders and files.
> due to slow freeing ressources (php pointers, memory, andso on...) the
> backup process fails each time...
>
> A.
>
> On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 6:47 PM, Alexis Antonakis <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:
>
> > But what is the webpage trying to do?
> > Is it straight html? Are you accessing data from a database? What exactly?
> >

> > On 09/02/11 10:45, Alain Roger wrote:
> >
> >> yes i understand however even Linux has bugs and issues...
> >> i'm currently installing Fedora 14 as web server and joomla has big issues
> >> on fedora 14 with right permissions and writable configuration.php file...
> >> everybody raises issue about that and till now none of their solution
> >> worked... :-(
> >>
> >> basically web page needs between 1 to 2 s to load, but as it is a testing
> >> computer it is not a huge problem... main problem is that component for
> >> joomla as akeeba backup fails to backup web site while under Windows XP it
> >> worked perfectly...
> >>
> >> A.
> >>
> >> On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 6:41 PM, Alexis Antonakis<admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >>
> >>  The Operating System :)

Surely there are already plenty of backup modules for Joomla?

If you're writing it as a module for that CMS, don't forget that you're
inheriting the whole memory footprint of Joomla at the same time. I
recently ran into such a problem on a project written on the CodeIgniter
framework. Now CodeIgniter isn't that heavy on resources, but even it
struggled with the default memory available to it.

If you're trying to speed up any PHP script, generally you need to step
through it and see what code you can remove entirely, or alter to have
less of an impact. For example, PHP code that grabs a set of results
from the DB and then filters that down is far slower and uses more
memory than if you left the filtering in MySQL.

Also, look at freeing up resources when you don't need them. Avoid large
global variables (if they are global the garbage collection can't work
until the script has ended).

Perhaps split the task into several smaller ones that are more
manageable at once for the server.

Finally, you can increase the memory that can be allocated to a PHP
script, but address this last, as the other factors are more important
in my opinion.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk