override built-in mail()

Hello Guys/Gals,

it's friday (at least where I am it is) and I have an issue with a
script that I just started using again.  The problem is, is that it uses
the built in PHP mail() function, and on my testing server, mail()
doesn't work. The other issue, is that I use SMTP Auth to connect to my
mail server, so that when mail sends out, it comes from my mail server
so that there is less of a chance for being marked as SPAM.

So, what I am looking to do, is use either the trust old Pear::Mail or
PHPMailer scripts (I am sure there are other ones out there, but those
are the 2 I am most familiar with).

So now to my actual question.  How can I override the built-in PHP
mail() function, to let either of those 2 (or something else someone may
suggest) to act in the same manner as the mail() function?

Is this easy?  I've googled, but haven't seen any reference to doing
what I am looking to do (maybe I just can't google)

Steve