Re: Counting Online users, but not using a Session Table in MySQL

On 1/28/2011 9:57 AM, AmirBehzad Eslami wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> The common solution for counting online users is to store sessions in a Table.
> I've created a Table in MySQL to acheive the result, but it seems this solution
> is a little heavy for such a simple task.
>
> Is there a better alternative? Can I use SqlLite to make COUNT(*) queries based
> on a where statement?
>
> Is there any better solution? Do you know any way to store sessions in Memory?
>
> Does Memcache support counting sessions?
>
> I'm looking for a high-performance solution to count online users.
> What do you think?

The simple way that we do it is to have users table have a boolean field that
gets updated when a person logs in, then a time field showing when they last
visited.  These together should give you the information that you are looking for.

This gives you the idea...

SELECT	COUNT(*)
FROM	users_table
WHERE	logged_in = 't'
AND	last_activity > FROM_UNIXTIME( UNIX_TIMESTAMP() - 1800 )

Jim Lucas