Re: Organisational question: surely someone has implemented many Boolean values (tags) and a solution exist

On 20 January 2011 14:32, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am designing an application that make heavy usage of one-to-many
> tags for items. That is, each item can have multiple tags, and there
> are tens of tags (likely to grow to hundreds). Most operation on the
> database are expected to be searches for the items that have a
> particular tag. That is, users will search per tags, not per items.
>
> These are the ways that I've thought about storing the tags, some bad
> and some worse. If there is a better way I'd love to know.
>
> 1) Each item will get a row in a "tags" table, with a column for each tag.
> mysql> CREATE TABLE tags (
> Â Âid INT NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT PRIMARY KEY,
> Â Âitem VARCHAR(100),
> Â Âtag1 bool,
> Â Âtag2 bool,
> Â Â....
> Â ÂtagN bool
> );
>
> With this approach I would be adding a new column every time a new
> category is added. This looks to me a good way given that users will
> be searching per tag and a simple "SELECT item FROM tags WHERE
> tag1=true;" is an easy, inexpensive query. This table will get very
> large, there will likely be literally thousands of items (there will
> exist more items than tags).
>

> 2) Store the applicable tags one per line in a text field in the items table.
> mysql> CREATE TABLE items (
> Â Âid INT NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT PRIMARY KEY,
> Â Âitem VARCHAR(100),
> Â Âtags text,
> );
>
> This looks like a bad idea, searching by tag will be a mess.
>

> 3) Store the tags in a table and add items to a text field. For instance:
> mysql> CREATE TABLE tags (
> Â Âid INT NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT PRIMARY KEY,
> Â ÂtagName VARCHAR(100),
> Â Âitems text,
> );
>
> This looks to be the best way from a MySQL data retrieval perspective,
> but I do not know how expensive it will be to then split the items in
> PHP. Furthermore, adding items to tags could get real expensive.
>

> Caveat: at some point in the future there may be added the ability to
> have a tag hierarchy. For instance, there could exist a tag
> "restaurant" that will get the subtags "italian" and "french". I could
> fake this with any approach by having a table of existing tags with a
> "parentTag" field, so if I plan on having this table anyway would
> method 3 above be preferable?
>
> Note: this message is cross-posted to the MySQL and the PHP lists as I
> am really not sure where is the best place to do the logic. My
> apologies to those who receive the message twice.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://gibberish.co.il
> http://what-is-what.com
>
> --

I'd have my items table, my tags table and a join table for the two.
My join table is really simple. UniqueID, ItemID, TagID.

I'd recommend using a nested set approach for the tags
(http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articles/hierarchical-data.html
gives a good explanation on the issues and methodology of nested
sets).

--
Richard Quadling
Twitter : EE : Zend