Re: Closure and $this

On Wednesday, January 12, 2011 11:37:19 pm Greg Bair wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 20:02:11 -0800 (PST)
>
> Raymond Irving <xwisdom@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hello,
> > Does anyone know if closures will ever support the $this keyword?
> > I think it would be very useful when working with objects.
> >
> > Best regards__RaymondDo more with less - http://raxanpdi.com
>
> Probably not, and my understanding of why comes from this line from the
> docs (http://www.php.net/manual/en/functions.anonymous.php):
>
> "Anonymous functions are currently implemented using the Closure class."
>
> So, in other words, your closure does not belong to the class you
> declare it in, but the Closure class.
>
>  Thus, if it supported the $this variable, it would refer not to the
>  class you want, but instead to the Closure class.
>
> Just my understanding.  If it's not right, someone point it out.

Actually at one point early on they did support a $this, but the way it was
bound to an object was half-assed and incomplete so it was removed entirely
from 5.3.  The intent was to then properly think through how that binding
should happen and re-introduce it properly in 5.4.  I believe a consensus was
reached on how that should happen but I'm not sure what its implementation
status is at present.

I believe this is the relevant RFC:

http://wiki.php.net/rfc/closures/object-extension

--Larry Garfield