Re: First PHP job

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 12:02:51PM -0600, Donovan Brooke wrote:

> Hello!, .. will try to keep this short!
> I've been a long time lurker but minimal poster. I made it a new years
> resolution to finally take on PHP jobs and now have my first one (with a
> completion date in a couple weeks!).
>
> I've been scripting in another language for many years and do know a
> thing or two.. but anticipate bothering the list a few times in the near
> future... hope that is fine with you all.
>
> I'm just about through Larry Ullman's "PHP" third edition that I started
> a couple days ago. Good book to start with I think, even for folks who
> have some kind of head start in Web Programming. I'm able to skim over
> a lot of it.
>
> I don't know how you all remain sane in dealing with quotes workarounds
> in echo/print statements, having to open/close PHP parsing using <?php
> ?> all the time, and having to deal with array's for just about
> everything... but I'm sure I'll get used to it and it will become second
> nature at some point. ;-)

That stuff's easy. I'm still trying to wrap my wits around the crazy way
functions are handled in Javascript. I know of no other language which
treats functions the way Javascript does.

Wait until you get to PHP's automatic casting of strings to numbers under
the proper conditions. You'll scratch your head for quite a while once
you hit that one.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster