Re: Global or include?

On Jan 6, 2011 4:24 PM, "SÃndor TamÃs" <sandortamas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  In that case you should use include_once in every script. But if you are
absolutely sure that all scripts will be processed, you can include it only
in one of them, because PHP - in short terms - does a file include, so it
will look like as the included file is part of the script.
> The global keyword does not do what you think, it only propagates
variables between functions without passing them as parameters. In general,
you ought to avoid using global, because it can make your script less
readable, and / or can lead to logical errors.

> Because I am OOP fan, I'd rather create a static class, using public
static fields, so you can reach those variable as like
ConstClass::MyConstant. In that way, you have the advantage of simply create
new constants, and it doesn't matter how many times you include this file,
there will be only one instance.

If you include the file several times, you still have the problem of
redeclaring the class, so you'd have to wrap the definition in a
conditional, which sucks, or use the *_once functions and incur the
overhead. Much better to be in control of the includes.

Apart from that, it's generally better to use require* instead of include*.
If the file is needed, don't continue without it, as the consequences will
be unknown.