Re: Static content at runtime

On Tue, 2010-12-28 at 13:25 -0500, Govinda wrote:

> > Care to share your experiences and recommendations on the issue?
> >

> It seems to me that you ask a great question, and ask it well.
>
> I have worked on both kinds of systems.  But I am not expert enough to
> say anything definitively.  Just one thought I had while thinking
> about it:
>
> How about:  publish static content.. and for the changing menu number,
> use Ajax instead of PHP include(s).  Would that be any better?  ...or
> maybe it is effectively the same "dynamic" burden in the end?
>
> ------------
> Govinda

I'd tend towards server-side includes handled by Apache instead of Ajax
if you're that worried about dynamic content cost. It's faster than have
PHP produce the entire page each time as it's only using Apache instead
of Apache and PHP.

Aside from that Ajax shouldn't be used for this sort of thing. Not
everyone has Javascript enabled, a lot of search engines won't process
the content pulled in via Ajax (Google does handle some Javascript now
to a limited extent) and it takes extra time for a clients browser to
load the Javascript that is being used, and then it has to make the
request and wait for the response, all of which takes time. It might
seem fine in local testing, but in the real world on a variety of
connections it doesn't work the way you want.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk