Re: Error Querying Database

On Wed, 2010-12-15 at 14:44 -0500, Steve Staples wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-12-15 at 14:34 -0500, Gary wrote:
> > "Steve Staples" <sstaples@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> > > Read Ash's reply...   but basically, you're running the query with POST
> > > variables, and inserting them on page display as well as on form submit.
> > >
> > > can you ensure that you can connect from the command line?
> > >

> > > if you may take some criticism, you should rethink your database design,
> > > as well as the page flow/design... you should either post the form to a
> > > new page, or if it is back to itself, you should check to see that you
> > > have in fact posted it before just blindly inserting into the database
> > > (as currently, every time you view the page, you will insert into the
> > > database, even if completely empty values).
> > >

> > Steve
> >
> > Thank you for your reply.
> >
> > I did not see a reply from Ashley, but I would love to read it.
> >
> > I always welcome criticism, however this form is for the owner of a bar
> > where he will inputing his list of beer that he sells.  The rest of the code
> > that is not there is I will have the list then echo to screen below the
> > form.  This is an internal list only, no customers will be seeing it....if
> > that makes any difference to your suggestion.
> >
> > On your one point
> >
> > <<(as currently, every time you view the page, you will insert into the
> > database, even if completely empty values).>>
> >
> > Is this always the case when you process a form onto itself?  Or is there a
> > fix?
> >
> > I did just create a new page, inserted the script onto it, and got the same
> > error message.
> >
> > Again, thank you for your help.
> >
> > Gary
>

> Gary
>
> the line:
> <input name="submit" type="submit" value="Submit" />
>
> is the submit part... if you encapsulate the DB part of the code,
> within:
> if($_POST['submit'] == 'Submit')
> {
>     # do db stuff in here and value sanitizing
> }
>
> basically, what that does is the submit button is name $_POST['submit']
> and has the value "Submit" (the 'value' of the button) which will not be
> set, until you submit the form.   Personally, I do it another way, but
> but is how most people check to see if a form is submitted (i think?)
>
> but it seems as if your issue stems from the lack of being able to
> connect to the database itself, so either your login credentials are
> wrong, or you dont have the mysqli connector enabled with your php in
> your development box.
>
> check your phpinfo() to ensure it is enabled.
>
> Steve

Echo out the $query string to see if it was you expect, but like a few
of us have said so far, you need to check that the form is submitted
before you run the query. To extend on what Steve said, I usually do
something like this:

if(isset($_POST['submit']) && $_POST['submit'] == 'Submit')

Which first checks to see if there is such a variable to avoid warning
messages in your log file or script output.

Also, I mentioned before (but I guess you didn't see it) that the action
attribute in your form tag is largely redundant, as in HTML, a form will
post back to itself by default. Also, there are security concerns with
using $_SERVER["PHP_SELF"] like this, as it won't always be what you
expect and could be used to attack your site.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk