Re: sending emails

On Dec 9, 2010, at 2:06 PM, Ashley Sheridan wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-12-09 at 14:03 -0500, TR Shaw wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 9, 2010, at 1:36 PM, Marc Fromm wrote:
>>
>> > We have web forms that send the user an email confirmation after submission, like most forms do.
>> > The emails are being delivered to the users' junk folder. The main campus IT staff claim it is because our server is sending the emails.
>> > The campus is using Microsoft exchange servers. I am using Red Hat Linux, sendmail, and PHP. Is there a way to give php the exchange server's ip address and have the emails from my php forms be sent from the exchange server?
>>

>> Marc
>>
>> Use phpmailer.
>>
>> Tom
>
> Would that stop the email being seen as spam? Depending on the root issue, probably unlikely, as there are countless reasons an email could be seen as spam, the majority of which wouldn't be fixed by something like phpmailer.
>
> Thanks,
> Ash
> http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

Ash,

I can only react to what he said eg their IT staff said it is because it comes from his server.

Yes you could ask the IT staff to whitelist their server but my experience with corporate, government and university IT is that its easier and quicker not to ask them to do much of anything.

phpmailer will allow him to send authenticated via his exchange server via SMTP Auth thus not requiring IT to do much of anything other than to add another user (and yes he can auth via his own account and send anyway but using an auditable user is a much better approach).

Although I agree that there might be many reasons from the mail to be declared "spammy" his IT indicated that it was IP/source related and the approach above solves that problem by making the mail "local."

He can always look at the headers to see why it was declared "spammy" if he doesn't trust his IT department.

Tom