RE: desire your recommendation for our specific HTML -> PDF project

this:
> /* --- for firefox, safari, chrome, etc. --- */
> -webkit-transform: rotate(90deg);
> -moz-transform: rotate(90deg);
> /* --- for ie --- */
> filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.BasicImage(rotation=1);
>
> ...which I use to rotate (90 degrees) a barcode which I grab off of this
> site/service:
> http://www.barcodesinc.com/generator/index.php
>
> We could drop that barcode PNG/service only if I could easily replace it
with
> another... and the barcode must be rotated 90 degrees - to thus fit in its
tiny
> (vertically-oriented) alloted slot on each of the
> 30 "address label cells".
>
> A thread on stackOverflow has people making recommendations all over
> the map.. as I would expect - our needs and experiences are all over the
> map.
>
> - I wish we had budget for the server version of PrinceXML ;-) ... but no
luck.
> - I have never used any PHP libraries like FPDF or TCPDF, but am concerned
> about speed; corporate users (on various browsers) will need the pdf in
real
> time.  They may be patient and wait for the final PDF if keep the solution
> free.. but if it takes minutes to generate, that is a minus point.

Govinda,

Have you/your team consider using pure CSS (using media screen & print) for
formatting?  This may save you from having to deal with PDF (extra codes ->
slower performance, extra steps in save then print, extra storage space just
for temp save, etc... ) since they only need to print as you mentioned.  If
you use CSS pt (1/72 inch) unit, you should get a pretty good precision.
IMO, I only see the need to save as/generate PDF if it's to create an
e-book, just to print to paper is not worth the time & effort. With either
method CSS/PDF, you'd still have to deal with the exact formatting & layout
(with PDF, you may have to twice - once for the screen and again in PDF).

> Also I am not sure how good these are for HTML -> PDF (as opposed to
> straight PDF from scratch).. plus not sure how good is the CSS support.
Our
> page is a bit of an HTML/CSS kludge.
> - I have used the command-line tools HTMLDOC and wkpdf, but the former
> lacked the CSS I need now, and the latter introduces margin that kills it
for
> exact address-label formatting (plus this project is on Linux).
>
> My PHP skills are not super strong yet.. but I am willing to do whatever
it
> takes to pull any solution together.
> In case you have any familiarity with any PDF generation tools that you
feel
> would fit the need here, then *please advise*!
>
> Thanks!
> -Govinda

> Govinda
> govinda(DOT)webdnatalk(AT)gmail(DOT)com