php mail() and sendmail/smtp

Okay, I know this is a Sendmail/SMTP admin issue, but it's PHP-related and I figured someone here might have a clue or might have solved this issue before. I've come into this dev server after many hands have touched it, and I'm not quite sure how to proceed, nor am I a Linux genius.

We're using localhost on this in-house CentOS server for mail() with sendmail_path, sendmail_from, etc. set properly. I can get test emails sent to me using mail(), but my client can't get any script emails on their domain's mail server, which is on hostmonster.

The daemon response emails are stuck in the queue as deferred - and what I've found through logs is that they're being rejected by the client's mail server because SMTP is sending it FROM "<apache@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>", even though that should be overridden when using mail() and our ini settings and headers. So that's a compound address of the apache account and 'new-host' which was apparently the machine name that was never changed in the beginning.

My mail server apparently doesn't care that it can't do a reverse lookup on that non-existent subdomain and account, but the client's does. Also, we have Redmine running on the same server, and it sends admin emails out just fine - however, I don't think it calls sendmail directly like our PHP install, but connects directly to the local SMTP server.

And I have tested a local telnet session to SMTP a mail manually, and that got through fine. So it seems to be how PHP is calling Sendmail, or Sendmail itself.

Sendmail is being called as "/usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i" in the ini.

Possible solutions?  I'm a little frazzled and a little undereducated here.

-- m