Re: Chat

On Tue, 2010-11-09 at 16:51 +0100, DuÅan NovakoviÄ wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I have to make chat for website that has around 10 000 users (small
> social network). So before I start, I would like to hear different
> opinions. Important thing is to have in mind that in one moment you
> can have over 1 000 users using chat.
> So, if you have time fill free to write you experience in this field,
> suggestions, etc.
>
> Thnx,
> Dusan
>

> --

I did that for a site for my buddy... i tried a few different ways, and
the current way seems to work decently... but i've been thinking about
altering it...

what i did for that one, is it inserts into a database what the person
wrote, then on eth other side, it pulls every x seconds from the db, and
using ajax adds to the <div>.   it is a pain in the ass, but yeah, it
works.  I also had a flag for "typing" indicator.

i am sure there are many different ways to do this, but posting to a db,
and pulling from the db seemed to be the logical way to do it when i did
that...    my buddies old way of doing it, is at http://radiokaos.com
it just posts to the db, and then refreshed the iframe every 20 seconds
or something.