RE: Pros/Cons of using mysqli prepared statments

"Jay Blanchard" <jblanchard@xxxxxxxxxx> didst scribe:
> using stored procedures has a lot of advantages. If you need to
> change your SQL you can do it in one spot. It reinforces MVS or
> modular coding behavior, the SP becomes very re-usable. Security
> is improved. Performance can be improved. You can put the bulk of
> the data handling on the database where it really belongs because
> SP's can perform complex operations complete with control
> structures. Lastly it simplifies your PHP code.

Just don't go too far.  Years and years ago, I worked on a project where there
were about 100 stored procedures, many of which were 200-300 lines long, many
of which called other stored procedures which called other stored procedures.
These procedures were frequently modified.  Attempting to debug this can of
worms full of Pandora's boxes was like pulling hen's teeth.  The initial idea
was for the app to do almost nothing but call stored procedures and display
results; this caused a number of problems which were ignored or solved badly.

(I'd almost forgotten that horrible mess where I had no input on anything
design-related, thank you for reminding me....)

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows